Fear Free Vet Visits
Making Veterinary Visits Less Stressful for Pets
Feline veterinary visits have declined in recent years. Why? Stress–for cats and their owners. But cats and their owners aren't the only scaredy-cats. Veterinary visits can cause stress for dogs and other types of pets (and their people), too!
The good news is that you don't have to sacrifice your pet's care by skipping out on regular veterinary visits because of stress.
Our Fear Free Certified Team Members Can Help
With this program, we continually learn new ways to make your pet’s healthcare even better.
During a typical Fear Free veterinary visit, you will see our practice team using some of these techniques:
Offer tasty treats to distract your pet and make them happy.
- Provide comfortable, non-slip surfaces for your pet to stand on thus improving balance.
- Encourage pets with a happy voice, smile, and treats—we never handle them roughly to get them on a table or into a cage.
- Considerate about your pet's comfort when holding them or performing procedures, such as nail trims, and we don't struggle with them.
- Create a calming environment with pheromone diffusers and sprays.
- Prescribe anti-anxiety and calming medications to give prior to their visit.
- Watch if your pet is showing excessive signs of fear, anxiety, or stress. If needed, we will postpone the exam/procedure until a time when the pet is more relaxed—often sending home medication to give prior to the next visit.
- Sedate a patient for a scary or painful procedure.
We see the benefits of a kind and considerate approach to pets when they are happy to come to visit us and become calmer patients.
Please call us at (314) 878-8454 for more information on the Fear Free environment we provide pets.